The Evangelical Free Church
Trinity Evangelical Free Church began in 1890 as the Norwegian Evangelical Congregational Mission Society of Hoboken, New Jersey. Soon afterwards it became affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church Fellowship. In 1920 a mission church was started in Teaneck. In 1932, the Hoboken and Teaneck groups merged to form a new congregation. The new church purchased property and moved to its present location on Teaneck Road. Within a few years the name of the church was changed to Trinity Evangelical Free Church. Our current sanctuary was completed in 1952 with most of the work being done by craftsmen in the church. Our educational building was completed in 1966. In the early years most of the members of the church were of Norwegian heritage, but today we have members from a wide variety of ethnic groups.
We are grateful for our heritage and remain committed to the biblical principles established by the Evangelical Free Church. We are especially committed to the task of reaching out with the love of God and the word of God with the goal of making disciples for Jesus Christ.
The Evangelical Free Church of America (EFCA) is an association of over 1500 churches united by a mutual commitment to serve the Lord Jesus Christ with the guidance of the Holy Spirit and in obedience to the Word of God. The term "Evangelical" refers to our commitment to the proclamation of the Gospel and to the authority of the Scriptures as the only safe and sufficient guide for faith and practice. The term "Free" refers to the autonomy of the local church, and to a congregational form of government. Evangelical Free churches depend on the active participation of lay people in their decisions and ministries. One of several EFCA distinctives is: "In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, charity; in all things, Jesus Christ."